- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.TapQ9hQj.dpuf gap creek gourmet: Beachin', doughnuts and ancient cookbooks

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Beachin', doughnuts and ancient cookbooks


I have returned to the Valley after another week of island living. I was very glad to see my hubs, my house and my pets, but I sure can't wait to go back. I think I felt every single cell of my body do a happy dance when we crossed the IOP Connector this time.  I drug along my laptop for a little work time, but for the most part, I spent the week toes in the water, ass in the sand (I actually did. I'm not just quoting a song.) and watched two little girls make some memories at the beach. 

Semi-take-out: Fresh SC shrimp with Charleston Cocktail Sauce
with Greek Salad from Atlanta bread. 
I did manage to squeeze in a foodie adventure just before we left town. I hope you've checked out my Charleston Pinterest Board.  If not, you should follow.  I'm slowly pinning and making my way through some foodie awesomeness in Chucktown.  During the last trip we grabbed a few salted chocolate and banana pudding popsicles from King of Pops at the farmer's market on Mount Pleasant.  This time, we headed to King Street for Cream Cheese Filled Pepper Jelly Glazed doughnuts from Glazed Gourmet Doughnuts and stopped in Heirloom Book Company. Both of these have been high on my to-go-there list, so I once again I drug my child along and thoroughly embarrassed her by acting like a fan girl. You'd think I was visiting the Beatles. 


In the 9 months since Glazed opened, pastry chef Allison Smith has been interviewed by a ton of mags and her doughnuts have gained quite a few fans. (I'm raising my hand and flailing it about wildly.) Folks, I spent $25 on doughnuts.  What the heck, right?  I'm telling you, when you are staring down her giant, sticky doughnuts and you know it will be a long while before you get back, you try choosing just one or two!  I let the kids each pick two, I picked two and I brought back a box for the hubs.  


Then we stopped in at Heirloom Book Company. I don't know where I first heard about this place, but I could not wait to go.  I am a little obsessive about cookbooks and food mags and they have a crazy selection of antique cookbooks along with new releases.  I walked around with my mouth hanging open and resisted the inclination to purchase every book I picked up.  I did settle on a great little Chocolate cookbook for $3. They have monthly dinners there... I gotta get to one of those!


Before I go, I want to send a big shout out to Dr. Kathleen Malaney and her office assistant (a very cool guy whose name I can't remember) on Isle of Palms for taking care of my soon-to-be earache during my vacation.  We took my daughter there when she was little and got swimmer's ear on vacation, so when I felt one coming on myself, I walked right in to get that taken care of.  They have the best customer service of any doctors office I've ever been in!  I love that it's a one woman show.  She's like the old school small town doctors, accept she offers Botox, too. (No, I'm not kidding...and no, I wasn't tempted.  I'm going to wrinkle gracefully!) Thanks Dr. M!

No comments: