- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.TapQ9hQj.dpuf gap creek gourmet: Open studios, the big cheese, and Small Plate Crawl

Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Open studios, the big cheese, and Small Plate Crawl


This past weekend was Metropolitan Arts Council's Open Studios in Greenville.  Friday night I gathered the troops and we stopped into the Cafe @ William's Hardware for a meet and greet with the Northern Greenville County Open Studios Artists (Barbara Green, Tom Flowers, Bev Peebles, JoAnn Taylor)... then we made a whoopie pie delivery to Leslie Garren Hart (a local indie craft artist) whose house is off the chain!  Seriously.  Straight out of Mad Men. I've never seen a house decorated in period.  My grandparents could have lived there in their sassy years. Way too cool!  Her studio was even a trip back in time! Collections of old suitcases, retro furniture, dolls, cloth... 

Then we went to David Young's.  David and I must have some bad ju-ju.  I broke a pot.  And funny enough, the second piece of David's I've broken in my life.  How is that possible?  Luckily it was already damaged and only in the green stage, but still, totally mortifying. He was gracious and kind, as he always is, and didn't rip me a new one.  I owe him baked goods. Many baked goods. (His work is awesome, by the way... and the sculpture garden of sorts outside his studio is crazy cool!) Sorry David!  Baked goods on their way in the next week or so and still, much groveling.

Saturday morning, I drug myself out to Susan Sorrell's little white studio in Taylors.... still under a dark shroud of embarrassment from the night before.   Being the supportive friend I am, I supplied her with many whoopie pies for her big weekend and then turned around and bought art too.  Love you Sus! I commissioned a painting of my corgi, Stump.  Want to see your dog in one of her creation's?  Give her a shout. 


The big cheese: I love trying new stuff and wander the isle of grocery stores in search of something that will wow me.  I found this cheese in the deli selections at Publix and it is amazing!  A cheese much like a smooth, sharp cheddar coated in espresso powder.  I've eaten it on crackers, on a chicken sandwich... and on mashed potatoes.  I'm putting it on basically anything I can imagine at this point.  It is decadent and a must for Holiday parties this season! ($5.99 at Publix)


SMALL PLATE CRAWL HENDERSONVILLE STARTS TODAY!!!!! I am shouting it from the rooftops in hopes you'll make the trip up the mountain (over the hills and through the woods) to check it out for yourself.  Over 20 restaurants in Hendersonville and Flat Rock are posting special menus with items fom $2-$8 available for the next two days. Local chefs are showing off their talent, and I plan on stuffing myself silly.  Restaurant times vary (click here for schedule). Be sure to print your passport before you go and stay posted for news on my big adventure. 



No comments: