- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.TapQ9hQj.dpuf gap creek gourmet: Halloween Party Menu begins here...

Monday, October 17, 2011

Halloween Party Menu begins here...

What's the big whoop?
I decided to get back in the kitchen this morning, inspired by my dad, who said there's not enough food on my blog (he's my biggest fan and my biggest critic), and a picture and recipe on Pinterest. It's about time I started on my list of Halloween party food! 1st up, Pumpkin Whoopie Pies.  I keep seeing these things in bake shops and ice creameries... I tried a few but didn't get it... why not eat a cupcake?  I whipped up a cake batter with pureed pumpkin and lots of pumpkin spices and a molasses cream cheese icing (think old fashioned molasses chew).  The recipe called for basic cream cheese icing, but I'm not known for sticking to the recipe... and the molasses were close by.

They turned out very pretty and they are pretty good, too. Not too sweet, a little spicy (not in the hot way) and the flavors balance well, but I'm still a cupcake girl.  Just like I prefer the rice on the outside of my sushi, I like the icing on TOP of my cake. I like biting into the creamy sweetness before hitting the fluffy cakiness. I think my husband is going to be a big fan, though.  He actually scrapes icing off his cupcake (freak!).  I'm linking to the cake recipe I used, but you'll have to wing it on the icing to duplicate.  I dumped in about a 1/4 cup of molasses and increased the sugar by half a cup, I think.  Again, winging it.  Happy Monday!

2 comments:

Cottage Library said...

So how full do you fill your whoopie pan? We made lemon whoopies with cream cheese icing, but we apparently overfilled the cups. The end result looked more like a violated cupcake cut in half and iced.

Nichole Livengood said...

I pipe my cake batter directly onto a parchment lined baking sheet and bake like cookies. No special pan needed.