- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.TapQ9hQj.dpuf gap creek gourmet: Taqueria on wheels and satiating the wine beast.

Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Taqueria on wheels and satiating the wine beast.


We often shop in Hendersonville, North Carolina, because frankly, it's a lot closer than heading down the mountain the other direction.  Daniel (the hubs) and I have passed this taco truck thousands of times, and finally decided to give it a go this past weekend.  It's on Spartanburg Hwy just off Highway 25 headed toward Hendersonville. It sits just off the road on the left behind a run down second-hand store.

The guy at the window was the owner and very helpful.  He said they had tacos and burritos.  We asked what kind.  He said steak and chicken.  Really?  That's it?  He said they had tongue and cheek tacos too, but people like us don't usually order that.  Oh, really?   We ordered one of everything they had on corn tortillas packed to go.



The beef and chicken tacos were amazing.  The cheek taco was a little fatty, but incredibly flavorful.  The meat had been marinated and was tender and well seasoned. The tacos were topped with chopped onions and cilantro.  There was a lime on the side and a smokey sauce which we squeezed poured over them.   I wasn't to stoked about the tortillas. I'm still wondering if they were homemade or bought from a store.  Kinda dry, but it didn't take away from the flavor of the tacos.

I haven't had tongue before.  Guess what?  It looks like sliced tongue. If I hadn't seen the actual taste buds on the meat, I could have tackled it with more of an open mind, but as much of a foodie as I am, I often have problems eating things that look like they were once alive. This falls in that category. I think if the tongue meat were seasoned a bit more, it would have been better.  Like I said, the taste buds had me distracted.


When someone tells me about a new food/wine they've tried and love, it awakens the gatherer inside me and I am singularly focused on getting that one thing.  A blessing and a curse. So, a friend of mine Facebooked me (wow.  Facebook now has a verb tense) about a new wine she saw called Entwine.  It is put out by Food Network and Wente Vineyards (Wine Enthusiast Magazine named them American Winery of the Year for 2011). She had made her way through three bottles and said they were all stupendous.  So of course I had to get my hands on a bottle and try some too.  Problem: I have something resembling whiplash in my leg (no, I don't know why) so running out to the store was an issue.  About five days later, my husband fetched me a bottle of Chardonnay and Cabernet.

Last night, as I cooked sweet potato curry, I nursed a glass of the Chardonnay.  I was surprised at the apple notes in the wine.  Possibly because I had just cut an apple to add to the curry... but the first thing that hit my nose as I popped the cork was a fresh cut apple. The flavor was light and fresh and smooth with just a tiny bit of bite at the end.  I don't think I've ever tried a Chardonnay like this before.  If you're looking for some of your own, note that it's not that easy to find (at least here, anyway).  The only grocery store carrying it in our area, that we have found is Publix, or check your local wine store. (This wine definitely goes in the 5 under $15 file! I'm still compiling a list of Chardonnay's.)

Let me know about exciting products you have tried so I can try them too and share them with the class.

Enjoy!  Happy hump day!

No comments: