- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.TapQ9hQj.dpuf gap creek gourmet: 5 Under $15: Gap Creek Gourmet approved wines that won't break the bank

Friday, September 30, 2011

5 Under $15: Gap Creek Gourmet approved wines that won't break the bank

California Reds

I walk into most wine shops mouth wide open. I think even seasoned connoiseurs have trouble navigating ratings, suggestions and sales to pick just one bottle.  Rarely do I make it out with just one. Here’s a present for those less than decisive shoppers out there (like me): a list of five Gap Creek Gourmet approved California wines to ease the pain of your next shopping experience.  

You can pick these up a nicely stocked supermarket or local wine store. I’ve paired them with some food for you, too.  Like the wines? Tried it and don’t agree with me? Don't like my description? Have a wine I should try for the next 5 under $15 posting?  Let me know what you think!

Gnarley Head Old Vine Zin 2009
Smooth, oaky, bold red this wine would go well with spicy Mexican food, I think.  It’s dark and a little jammy.  I like jammy… not too jammy, though.  Slightly tannic.

Dancing Bull Cabernet Sauvignon 2009
This wine is layered…smoky and earthy.  Try with BBQ pork or something from the smoker or grill. Hints of chocolate and fruit would make it a good chocolate pairing too.

Bogle Old Vines Zinfandel 2009
Bogle wines are a good go-to.  This Zin has soft tannins and is full of berry flavors with a little bit of pepper and spiciness and a smooth, oaky finish.   Uncork this with pizza.

Apothic Red Winemaker’s Blend 2009
Dark, rich, jammy with very little tannin, this wine combines my favorite parts of Syrah, Zinfandel and Merlot. With hints of dark chocolate, spice and a smooth lingering finish, this wine would make a nice accompaniment to …well, I’ll drink this one with dang near anything.  It’s my go-to red blend.

Manifesto! Lodi Zinfandel 2009
This smooth Zin is loaded with dark fruit flavors and finishes a little dry with notes of pepper and orange.  It would go well with a bacon cheeseburger… or salty, buttery pasta.

No comments: