- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.TapQ9hQj.dpuf gap creek gourmet: Ford's Oyster House and Cajun Kitchen and rubbing elbows with a few chefs

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Ford's Oyster House and Cajun Kitchen and rubbing elbows with a few chefs


I seriously have eaten so much good food this week that may need a stint in food rehab.  And I have one more party to go tonight!  Poor me, right?  On Thursday afternoon I hit Ford's Oyster House and Cajun Kitchen to interview Chef Damion Norton for an upcoming article and get a tour of the menu offerings.  


Chef Damion was a super happy and welcoming guy and was eager for me to sample the menu.  He brought out Seafood Gumbo - a dark brown roux with crab and shrimp and andouille sausage and okra, and then this amazing Jambalaya with Louisiana shrimp, andouille sausage and roast chicken.  The rice was seasoned with onion, celery, peppers and red creole sauce, which he called the trinity mix. It was an amazing mixture of flavors.  


And then came out the Blackened Mahi on house etouffee with a said of green beans. The fish was excellent.  The entire dish blew me away.  What's interesting about Ford's is that the atmosphere and even the menu are very bar-ish, probably typical of a street side New Orleans joint, but the food, the presentation, and the flavors are what you'd get in any of the nicer restaurants around Greenville.  It's almost as if the food is undersold or something.  At any rate, it's the star of the show. 


For dessert I had a Double Chocolate Bread Pudding that seriously was one of the best bread puddings I've ever tasted.  I can't wait to take our friends there for dinner.

Fords Oyster House And Cajun Kitchen on Urbanspoon

After that interview I made my way out into the torrential rain and up the street to The Green Rook to chat it up with Chef Pat at The Green Room for another article running in a couple of weeks. I was way too stuffed to eat, but it was awesome learning where he came from and how he landed in the Green Room kitchen. Greenville really had a host of interesting Chefs who are more than happy to talk to customers and chat it up with me when I call for interviews.  


Oh, by the way,  my lunch pal for the day was Laura from TK PR.  Did you think I ate all of that food from Ford's by myself?  No way!







No comments: