- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.TapQ9hQj.dpuf gap creek gourmet: The Hungry Drover

Thursday, November 01, 2012

The Hungry Drover


Folks, today, I jumped off the gluten-free wagon feet first right into a slice of Dark Corner Tomato Pie, then, Mediterranean Pie and Mushroom and Rice Soup and Lemon Chess Pie and Double Chocolate Cake.  Yes, that is a lot of food, but when my friend John saw me walk through his door, he welcomed me excitedly and just kept feeding me!  Now, a true southern lady doesn't turn down a good piece of pie  now, does she? And you should have seen the perfect flaky crust on their pies.  John Wilson and co-owner Sheila Springfield may have gotten their start catering BBQ, but they could win world awards with their pie crust.

It was on a whim that I went in to check the place out, really.  It's been open since August, but I never seem to be passing at a good time.  Today, my stomach was growling, and I really didn't want the chili that was sitting in my fridge waiting on me, so that was a good enough time for me.


The Hungry Drover is located at the corner of Tigerville Road and Highway 290 in Travelers Rest. It's  old country store meets country diner.  LOVE it. There is art and hand crafts from local artists all over the place, home grown produce along the wall, butter and milk and eggs for sale in the fridge. The menu is full of homemade favorites like handmade biscuits, grits, eggs and bacon for breakfast. Chicken salad and smokey pimento cheese,  fresh salads, soup, BBQ, pies and desserts for lunch. 


I love the large community table down the center of the room where any ole body can pull up a chair and make a new friend.  I couldn't leave without a pound of John's BBQ to go.  I have intentions of making BBQ Quesadillas for dinner. Yum!  If you're in the area, be sure go to by and have lunch.  Two hours later and I'm still licking my chops.  It was that good.  They are open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. and 8 a.m. to 2 pm. on Saturday. 





1 comment:

Rachel said...

What a neat place. I've never seen this before but I'll definitely be looking for it now...