- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.TapQ9hQj.dpuf gap creek gourmet: May book club, cookbook review and the joy of singing our lungs out

Tuesday, May 08, 2012

May book club, cookbook review and the joy of singing our lungs out

Last night was Cookbook Book Club night!  


I was pulling Sierra's Andouille Sausage Pigs in a Blanket out of the oven and finishing the final touches on my Alabama "West Indies" Crab Salad dish when I realized it started 30 minutes earlier than I thought... all the way across Greenville County. AH!!!  Truly a cuss moment.  Saved by the iPod, I pulled up the quickest route.  45 minutes y'all!  (Usually an hour drive.) Speeding or the wonders of shortcuts.  Not sure, but we made it!


Some of other dishes were Oven-Roasted Sweet Potato and Green Bean Salad, Endive and Roquefort Salad, and Butter Bean Croustades. If you're new to the blog, the Fiction Addiction Cookbook Book Club cooks from a new cookbook each quarter.  Right now we're making our way through "Basic to Brilliant Y'all: 150 Refined Southern Recipes and Ways to Dress Them Up for Company."  Don't go out and buy this cookbook unless you are seriously good in the kitchen.  Virginia Willis worked for Martha Stewart and the cookbook is NOT for a novice.  The recipes are pretty dang daunting and she should fire her editor!  The recipes are not an easy read. They are complicated and not very descriptive for a cookbook with limited pics.  There.  That's my review. Anywho.  The food, though sometimes wing it we must, is very delicious!

The folks at Wine Styles are nice to host us.  Last night, the very nice lady behind the bar kept bringing me and my new friend Joy new wines to try.  You MUST run out and grab a bottle of Apothic White.  Apothic Red is one of my go-to reds at $9 a bottle.  I'd never had the white. Oh, baby. So good!  Will be picking one up today!

My child and I go to book club together.  How very cute of us, right?  She picks out her dish, we make our grocery list and go shopping.  She cooks it herself too (with a little help). She doesn't eat much while we are there, but tries way more than I thought she would!  

We ran through Jack in the Box and sang our lungs out on the way home. Thank goodness we like the same music!  This is our favorite song.  Ever.  I hated nursery rhymes so I sang her the complete Indigo Girls Rites of Passage CD from first song to last.  She was colicky and I had to sing and rock a lot.  It usually took three songs to knock her out: Three Hits, Galileo and Ghost.  Anyway, she still says this is her favorite and still asks me to sing it to her sometimes. 


I'm a busy body... usually.   I finished the work I planned for this morning already and I'm torn as to whether I should watch Smash over lunch or save it for tonight.... decisions.  Thinking of making Pork rolls with greens and black eyed peas for dinner... I'm making this one up as I go folks.  I'll post pics.

PS: stay posted because an Upcountry Provisions give away is coming soon!

No comments: