- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.TapQ9hQj.dpuf gap creek gourmet: A look back at 2013.

Thursday, December 26, 2013

A look back at 2013.

We're five days away from a brand new year, so I thought I would share some of my highlights of 2013 with you.  Here we go!


In January I surprised my mother with a visit from my aunt who lives in California.  It was a perfect birthday surprise for Mom.  We had a blast bebopping around together.


Last winter my daughter and I decided to make donuts.  While we were baking, it started pouring snow outside.  She ran out and made a snowball.  It was one of those perfect little memories. And those were really great donuts.


Dan and I spent our anniversary this year in Charleston.  We had an incredibly special dinner at Husk complete with sparkling wine and a special menu just for us.  We also walked on the beach in the freezing cold and ate fresh oysters at Bowan's Island. (I'm not a fan of oysters, but it was a neat first time experience.)

 

I battled a case of severe depression during the first part of the year. (Booo!) It was rough, but one day during my funk, I had the absolute pleasure of babysitting my God-daughter.  She is a complete joy and brightened my world.  It's the little things sometimes...


My daughter and I were walking on the beach during spring break and she bent down to write something in the sand.  When I saw it, I almost cried.  We are at this neat stage before boys, before she starts claiming her independence and Mom becomes uncool.  Sierra + Mom = love.  
Joy. Joy. Joy.


We were blessed to spend a TON of time at the beach this summer. Isle of Palms is my second home of sorts and a wonderful, wonderful place to cool out and spend time with my family and friends.  


Life is not always rainbows and moonbeams.  But sometimes it is. 


My family from DC and Tampa visited!  I was so stoked to meet new additions to the family and spend some time with my cousins.  I can't wait until I see them all again! Love you guys!


Chattooga Belle Farm Dinner.  One of the coolest things I have ever done in my life. (Thank you Edible Upcountry!) 


Euphoria 2013 was a blast!  I met Kat Kinsman from CNN's food blog Eatocracy.


I held a baby pig.  I checked that off my bucket list!


Renegade Vittles Dinner.  The best chefs in Greenville cooked one of the most amazing meals of our lives. 


I met Chef John Currance, got his cookbook, then made my first homemade Guinness Whole Grain Mustard,  and brined and smoked my first beef tenderloin. Holy moly that was good eatin'! Best thing I made all year.


I made eggnog with my chef buddy John Malik and drink master at Bacon Bros, Jason Calloway. (Really, I watched and documented, but...)


I spent a lot of time at Bacon Bros this year!  Standing beside Anthony Gray while he shaved paper thin pieces off of his country ham for me to eat was pretty dang amazing. 


I hung out with Passerelle Chef, Teryi Youngblood.  One of the coolest chicks in town. 


For the first time I made a cheesecake that didn't crack.


I had the pleasure of visiting Posana in Asheville and was over the moon happy that owner and chef Peter Pollay sat down and joined us for dinner.  


The new addition to our family. 


The most awesome thing to happen this year?  I am partnering with Carolina Epicurean blogger, Laura Huff, for Greenville Small Plate Crawl 2014 coming March 24-26.  I'm excited to be partnering with her to bring her popular WNC food crawl to the Upstate.  Restaurants are already signing up and I keep hearing how excited people are about the crawl.  

Here's to more excitement and joy in 2014!







No comments: