- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.TapQ9hQj.dpuf gap creek gourmet: Cookbook Book Club and Mother/Daughter bonding

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Cookbook Book Club and Mother/Daughter bonding


I think I forgot to tell you folks about my first Cookbook Book Club Meeting!  (sorry about the blurry pics above.) So, I was making Mama's Sausage Swirls (p. 229 in "Back To Brilliant, Y'all: 150 Refined Southern Recipes and Ways to Dress Them Up for Company by Virginia Willis) in the kitchen when my daughter came in and announced that she too was going with me and was going to make cupcakes to have something to contribute!  So she did.  I wasn't sure how the whole thing would pan out, but we had the best time!  

There were 12 of us or so that met at the Wine Styles on Pelham Road in Greenville - a great little wine shop! We lined our dishes up on the bar, grabbed a glass of wine and ate buffet style.  We munched on Mini Country Ham Cheddar Biscuits with Honey Bourbon Butter, Black Pepper Cheese Shortbread, Summer Squash Slaw, Macaroni Salad, Peach Dijon-Crusted Pork Tenderloin, and Coca-Cola Cake. 

Then we went around each table and told about the experience of making the food.  It was awesome to be around people whose faces light up when they talk about preparing food.  We oohed and ahhed over gardening, grocery stores, ingredients, cookbooks... and my daughter was engaged and polite and quietly sipped on her Coke and played on her little iPod while conversation was focused away from her.  I was so proud! 

Fiction Addiction has two Cookbook Book Clubs that meet either on the first Monday or first Thursday of the month. For more details, go here.




No comments: