- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.TapQ9hQj.dpuf gap creek gourmet: Spicy Sweet Potato Fries

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Spicy Sweet Potato Fries


It's birthday week, so yesterday I was completely and utterly worthless. After catching up on the lives of my fellow food bloggers while watching a few episodes of Sex and the City (Jack Burger was not my favorite of Carrie's boyfriends... I'm more of an Aidan gal), I had an unstoppable craving for Sweet Potato fries. Don't they look yummy?

Fresh cut sweet potatoes tossed in buttermilk and a egg, tossed around with cayenne, sea salt and pepper, then coated in flour, sprinkled with more salt and pepper, then spread out on an aluminum foil covered pan and sprayed down with a little oil. Baked 425 until crispy.  Wa-La. Crunchy decadent, spicy sweet potato fries.  I made a spicy dip by mixing cayenne with ketchup.


While munchin' on my fries, I watched Midnight in Paris,  which rocked my world. I've recently developed an appreciation for Woody Allen.  Age, my taste is improving, or I'm getting increasingly boring. I'm not sure which, but in this one Owen Wilson plays Gil, a screenwriter turned novelist who is visiting Paris with his fiancee and her parents.  While on a midnight stroll, he is offered a ride to a party and soon realizes he's been whisked back in time to the 1920's where he meets the likes of FitzgeraldHemingway, Gertrude Stein, Cole Porter... the top actors, musicians and artists who partied their way around Paris in the 20's.  Yes, please.  Two thumbs up... and if I had more hands, I'd add another couple of thumbs up. This movie is an English Major's dream and made me want to click right over to iTunes and download some Cole Porter, but instead I grabbed a Godiva Chocolate Truffle and a cup of coffee and watched movie number two: Friends with Benefits.

A few things about Friends with Benefits: It's mind candy... like a decent beach novel.  I just can't get on board with Justin Timberlake.  Every time I see him, I expect him to break out into M-I-C...K-E Y...M-O-U-S-E.... seriously.   One thumb up, at best. (Oh no.  I just realized Ryan Gosling was a Mickey Mouse Clubber too... BA!  Ruined forever.)

I'm off.  Things to bake, people to see and laundry to be done.



No comments: