- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.TapQ9hQj.dpuf gap creek gourmet: Pie School

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Pie School

Leftover pie for breakfast on this soon-to-be-Fall morning.

It doesn't take a culinary genius to make an apple pie and tis the season.  I thought I'd share my apple pie knowledge (which frankly, wouldn't fill a pie pan).  1) You don't need to know how to make a pie crust to make a pie.  Pillsbury has been working on this for decades.  Just for you.  And it makes a perfectly fine pie. So don't let that stop you. 2) An apple machine (peels, cores and slices at the same time) may save you a few blisters or trip to the ER.  I hate pealing: apples, potatoes, etc.  I love this contraption and you can get yours for $25 or so from Amazon.com.  3) Apple Pie Spice is a pantry must this time of year for pies and coffee, ice cream, hot chocolate, cakes, cookies and pies.  Add some to your coffee grounds before brewing... num, num, num.   4) I never could get the bottom crust done enough until I figured out these two things: use a glass pie dish for baking and when the top looks golden brown, put a sheet of foil on top of the crust and let bake a few more minutes.  Ta-da.

I'm not going to post my recipe because I don't have one.  My apple pie has 8-10 apples, about a teaspoon and a half of apple pie spice, about 1/2 cup of sugar, tablespoon of flour, 1/4 stick of butter cut into tiny bits.  Sometimes I add a squeeze of lemon to the mix...I've also thrown in raisins from time to time. Egg white beat with a drop or two of water for brushing on the crust before it goes in the oven...   I follow the pie crust baking instructions.  Makes a dang good pie. (Only Martha Stewart would know I didn't make my own crust!)





No comments: