- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.TapQ9hQj.dpuf gap creek gourmet: Cakehead Bakeshop keeps me coming back for just four more.

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Cakehead Bakeshop keeps me coming back for just four more.

 I had the pleasure of sitting down with Ximena Herrera (TEDxSpartanburg) at Hub Diggity Dogs on Dunbar Street in Spartanburg, SC yesterday.  Over a few of Hub Diggity's best hotdogs... I had mine with chilli, ketchup, mustard and relish...we chatted about her upcoming event.  I am so excited about the speakers and performers they have booked for Spartanburg's big TEDx reveal.  (Keep an eye out in the weekly Spartanburg Journal for more details.)


After lunch we said our goodbyes and I headed to Cakehead Bakeshop.  When I leave Sparkle City, there is always a brown box on the seat beside me.  Sometimes they don't all make it home.  But, yesterday was Sierra's 1st day of the 4th grade, so I opted to share the tasting with my child this time. My little food critic.


Two forks in tow, we sat down to sample: Coconut Cream Filled, Peaches N Cream, Chocolate Cookie Topped and a chocolate cupcake with peanut butter icing topped with peanuts.


The Cakehead bakers get solid stars for presentation.  Every time I walk into their little shop at the back of Little River Coffee Bar I am overcome with the urge to crawl in their display case and eat myself into a diabetic coma.  (There were flowers in a bowl on the counter yesterday that filled the shop with amazing sweetness.)


I try to pick just four cupcakes to sample each visit, and have only repeated flavors twice: birthday cake and coconut.  For taste, the flavors always blend well.  (Except for the Red Velvet. Though beautiful, not our family's favorite and my husband is a huge red velvet fan.)  


The cupcake construction is always top notch.  The lemon cupcake was absolutely perfect (I used theirs as inspiration for one of my batches).  And their chocolate cake is a nice balance of rich and light and the standard yellow cake recipe is moist and nice and sugary.  The top almost has a slight crispiness. Their icing is a bit greasy, but fluffy... and sometimes I am left wanting a bit more natural flavor... like more peachy or cinnamon in the peach cupcake we sampled.  But overall, the best cupcakes I've eaten in the Upstate.  And for those who've read the blog know, I'm the cupcake girl.  I am VERY picky with my cake because I can do a cupcake.  


Way to go Cakehead!  I can't wait until my next visit.   (P.S.: Please order stickers!  I'll slap one of those puppies on my car!)










No comments: